Sunday, November 10, 2013

Harvest


We spent a few weeks harvesting the last of our garden.
Its amazing how much "hands on" science we get 
from simply having a modest garden.  Of course there is the
obvious things like the life cycle of plants and practical life
skills of growing your own food.  
More than that we learn about different animal
life cycles and weather.

Wesley discovered a tree frog on our tomatoes

 And while digging up the carrots we found painter turtle eggs.


 The garden has given the kids many up close opportunities.
Although, I love the garden it is an annual challenge for me.
I am reminded of the quote by Thomas Jefferson...

"But though an old man, I am but a young gardener." 1814 July 5. (to John Adams).."

Until...next year I suppose we will try again. :)





 Another interesting thing we discovered was a new to us species of moth.
We found a Hummingbird hawk moth feasting at our window boxes.
It was delightful.  We researched the moth, told stories, and drew pictures of him.
It was sort of my unschooling moment I occasionally have.




Not only do I have a house of scientists, but
we have two budding artists as well...

Tillie modeling clay

Taggert sketching a masterpiece


Just like their Big Brothers.

until next time
...blessings




No comments: