Saturday, February 19, 2011

Freedom






This week we were gearing up for presidents day.  I realized how little I have explained of our country to the children.  They hear random rants by my husband or I , but none of the classic preschool stories.  This was a very good lesson for us.


We started out our week on Monday with Valentines day.  The children awoke to find love notes and treats in their baskets they had made last week.



It was also baking day so, we made heart shaped sugar cookies. 
It is so hard for me to be able to take pictures of our baked goods!  They disappear quick around here.


The rest of the week was dedicated to The United States of America.

I told the story of George Washington and the cherry tree.  It was out of a book called Best-Loved Children's Stories.  We talked about some of our founding fathers and how amazing they were.  Smart, honest, and perfect role models.  If there ever was a man I would want my kiddos to emulate it would be Thomas Jefferson!  

We pulled out money and went over each president on our coins.  Then, we did coin rubbings with our crayons.  (it didn't turn out good)  So, we just colored pictures of flags.  We talked about our flag and read stories about how it came to be.  Then, we crafted our own flags out of felt.



"I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America, and 
to the republic for which it stands.
one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty
and justice for all."

We tried to memorize the pledge.  I feel very strongly that they know this by heart.  If I teach anything this year this would be it.  One of the reasons I initially started home schooling was because our pledge was taken out of our schools.


We talked about the states too and did a puzzle to try and learn where they all are on a map.




We went on a neighborhood flag hunt to try and find as many flags as we could.  We found 10 U.S. flags and one Marine corps flag.  This led us into a discussion on all the other types of flags flown in America.  Matthew's favorite one is the "Don't tread on me" flag (that is my favorite too).  So, we made our own.





We sang classic American songs too. Yankee Doodle Dandy, Grand old flag and Yankee Doodle Went to Town.  The "Macaroni" part was very funny for them!

We read America books too

We have strong conservative, constitutional, libertarian values around here.  I am sure they will pick up on that some day, whether they will agree with us or not.

Have a happy presidents day and God Bless America!


until next week...
~blessings

No comments: