Friday, May 13, 2011

Bees


Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!
From morning's first light 
Till the coming of night,
He's singing and toiling 
The summer day through.
Oh! we may get weary,
And think work is dreary;
'Tis harder by far 
To have nothing to do.






This week we talked about bees.  
How do I love thee let me count the ways....
1. I love bees.
2. I love bees.
3. I love bees.

They are so fascinating.  I developed a deeper appreciation for them after my husband and I saw an outstanding documentary about them and their plight.  If you ever have the chance check it out.


For baking we attempted to make honey candy.  I boiled down honey for 10 minutes and it became very sticky, but I had no success turning it into candy.  so, we just ate honey and talked about how it is made from flowers and love. 


We drank jasmine flower tea with our honey too.




We went on a bee hunt to see what we could find....

 We found some near the flowers.




We found one on the dandelions



We found hundreds on this maple tree.



We crafted a bee hive out of paper mache


around a balloon.



Then, we wet felted bees to play with the hive.





For painting and coloring day we took yellow paint. 
Then we pressed our thumbs in the paint and onto the paper.
After it dried we added details with our beeswax crayons.



We read a lot of bee information.


We read a wonderful fairy tale too.  
The Queen Bee, by the brothers Grimm



We could have spent a whole month on bees there is so much to learn.  
We had a good time learning what little we could so far.

Until next week
~blessings

No comments: